After a long day of work, a nice bowl of soup can quickly ease you into a relaxing evening. With this easy borscht recipe, you can taste pure bliss and fill your belly. The best thing about borscht is that it is a great soup to freeze. So you can make a batch or two at home and bring along on the road.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 red beets ½ inch diced (approx 1 ½ pound)
- 2 carrots ½ inch diced
- 1 large russet potato peeled and ½ inch diced
- ½ small green cabbage shaved
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dill fresh, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice fresh
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 bay leaf
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- sour cream optional, for serving
- Add olive oil to a soup pot and set over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add in the beets, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage. Stir to combine.
- Cook for 10 minutes to slightly soften the vegetables.
- Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Pour in the beef and the vegetable broth and add the bay leaf. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the beets and carrots are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Stir in the fresh dill, lemon juice, and lemon zest—taste and season with the desired amount of kosher salt and black pepper.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top.