- 4 large baking potatoes (Idaho or russet)
- 12 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups 2 percent low-fat milk, heated
- 5 ounces sharp Cheddar, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the potatoes on a roasting tray and bake for 45 minutes or until done.
- Slice the bacon into thin strips and cook on medium heat until crisp.
- Add the flour to the drippings and stir to combine. Cook, without adding color, until the flour and fat has combined, about 1 minute.
- Pour in the milk while you whisk to incorporate. Cook over medium heat until bubbly and thickened, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes.
- Scoop out the potato pulp from the skins and add to the milk mixture. Mash with the back of a wooden spoon leaving it a little bit chunky.
- Add the cooked bacon, 1 cup of the cheese, and season well with salt and pepper. Stir until the cheese has melted. Remove from the heat.
Top with sour cream, grated cheese, and chives.