Enjoy great home cooked food while you’re over the road. Check out Len Dubois Trucking for some great meals you can make at home and take with you on the road. Follow us on Facebook & Twitter for updates, info, trucking pictures, and more!
Beef jerky is high in protein and doesn’t raise your insulin levels making it a great in between meals snack. Making your own beef jerky allows you to control the ingredients and reduce the preservatives contained in many store brands.
- 1 pound beef eye of round sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons mesquite flavoured liquid smoke concentrate
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a shallow glass baking dish, stir together the soy sauce, brown sugar, liquid smoke, paprika, garlic, and salt. Lay the meat strips in the liquid in a single layer. Cover the dish, and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Arrange strips of beef in a dehydrator, and let dry for 6 hours, or to desired dryness.
- Set the temperature to 165° F (70° C). Place your prepared meat directly on a wire rack, with a saucepan or catch underneath to catch the marinade dripping from the jerky.
- Cook for 1.5 – 3 hours checking the jerky after 90 minutes. If the jerky isn’t cooked through continue cooking, checking it at 30 minute intervals until done.