Fruit cake is a favorite in many households during the holiday season. If your looking for a non alcoholic version this is a great recipe to try out. Not only is it kid friendly, but because the cake is white it’s easy to identify as the non alcoholic version of this family favorite.
- 1 1/2 cups candied pineapple chunks
- 3 cups golden raisins
- 1 1/2 cups candied cherries
- 1 cup dried currants
- 2 ounces candied orange peel
- 2 ounces candied citron peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cups butter
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 8 eggs, separated
- 4 cups pecans, chopped
- Chop pineapple, raisins, and cherries. Combine chopped fruit with currants, orange peel, and citron; soak in orange juice overnight.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Place a small pan of water in the oven. Line one 5×9 inch loaf pan and two 3×8 inch loaf pans with parchment or doubled waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioner’s sugar. Stir in beaten egg yolks. Stir in fruit, juice, and pecans. Mix in sifted flour.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites to peaks. Fold into batter. Fill pans 2/3 full.
- Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until golden brown, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.