With the weather starting to heat up, it’s time to start thinking about cold meals. This easy to make salad recipe packs a lot of flavour and works perfectly as a meal all on its own or as a side dish to some grilled chicken or steak.
Creamy Herbed Dressing
- ½ cup low-fat mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup nonfat plain yogurt
- ¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey, or more to taste1
- ½ teaspoons dried minced onion or dried chopped chives
- 1¼ teaspoons dried tarragon or dill
- ½ teaspoon onion salt or celery salt or ¼ teaspoon of each
- White pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked whole-wheat fusilli or similar pasta
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets (about 1½ large heads)
- 1½ cups diced ham (8 ounces)
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper (or a combination), diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ⅓ cup raisins
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups spinach leaves
To prepare the dressing:
- Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, sour cream, vinegar, mustard, honey, onion (or chives), tarragon (or dill) and onion salt (and/or celery salt) in a bowl until well blended.
- Season with white pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings, if desired.
To prepare salad:
- Combine pasta, broccoli, ham, bell pepper, diced onion and raisins in a large bowl.
- Add dressing and toss until evenly incorporated.
- Cover and refrigerate to blend the flavors for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days.
- Serve on a bed of spinach or romaine.