Truckers Quick Healthy Snacks
The lifestyle of us truck drivers means sometimes our meal times are a little wonky. We often snack either out of boredom or because we’re taking a lunch or dinner break later.
This can have poor health outcomes. Not to mention that when we eat like a child’s wish list, we tend to feel poorly. It’s not good all around.
We’ve put together a few very quick snack ideas that are better than eating chips or chocolate. These are quick and can be made on the go!
Avocado & Salsa on Ezekiel Toast
Ezekiel sprouted bread uses a combination of 6 grains and legumes that are easier to digest, increase mineral absorption, and contain increased antioxidants. If you’ve never heard of it you’re in for a treat! You’ll need a toaster or toaster oven in your truck because this is better toasted. Pair it with avocado and fresh salsa for healthy fats and energy.
- 1/4 medium avocado
- 1 slice multigrain bread
- 2 tablespoons salsa
Prepare it: Toast bread and top with sliced or mashed avocado and salsa
Avocado Egg Salad topped multigrain Toast
Pair it with egg salad for a tasty protein-packed powerhouse.
- 1/4 avocado mashed
- 1 large hardboiled egg (chopped)
Prepare it: Mix together avocado and egg with a dash of salt and pepper to taste on top of a slice of toasted multigrain bread
Baked Apple Chips
These are amazing! Reach for low calorie baked apple chips instead of greasy potato chips. Packed with carbs, heart-friendly fiber, and potassium.
- 3 large Red Delicious apples, cored
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the apples as thin as possible.
- Lay apple slices on parchment paper, making sure not to overlap them, sprinkle mix of cinnamon and sugar onto the sliced apples.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. Then flip apples, add cinnamon to the other side & bake for another 40-50 minutes. They should look shriveled up a bit, and the plain apples get a little golden brown.
- They should feel pretty dry to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let ‘chips’ cool completely before transferring to a sealed container for up to 3 days.