Eating the same meals all the time can bore your taste buds, but many driver’s do just that. Truck driver’s can enjoy a variety of tasty new meals that are easy to make in the truck, or ahead of time at home. This recipe is easily made in a slow cooker and can be eaten a variety of different ways, so it’s a perfect choice for driver’s wanting to add some variety to their meals. This slow cooker carnitas recipe makes a great filling for tamales, enchiladas, tacos, burritos, combine it with your favorite BBQ sauce and make a sandwich or serve it along with some rice and vegetables for a great meal.
INGREDIENTS Recipe makes 10 servings
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (4 pound) boneless pork shoulder roast
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Mix salt, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, coriander, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Coat pork with the spice mixture.
- Place the bay leaves in the bottom of a slow cooker and place the pork on top.
- Pour the chicken broth around the sides of the pork, being careful not to rinse off the spice mixture.
- Cover and cook on Low until the pork shreds easily with a fork, about 10 hours, turning the meat after 5 hours.
- When the pork is tender, remove from slow cooker, and shred with two forks.
- During cooking time add more chicken broth if needed.