Finding meals over the road doesn’t have to be a grueling task, especially when you make your meals ahead of time at home to take over the road with you. You’ll be able to eat the foods you love, add variety to your meal plans and save some money. This home made ginger beef recipe is perfect for those who enjoy a moderate level of spiciness, is quick to make and freezes well.
- 1 pound flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 Tablespoon canola oil, or as needed
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger root
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 to 3 tablespoon red pepper flakes, depending on how spicy you want the meal to be
- Optional: add mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas or what ever vegetables you love to make the perfect meal.
- Put 1 tablespoon of canola oil into pan and heat over high heat until hot but not smoking. Place beef strips into hot oil; cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove beef.
- Put 1 tablespoon of canola oil into pan and heat over high heat until hot but not smoking. Add carrots, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, green onions, ginger, and garlic over high heat until lightly browned but still crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes together in a small bowl. Pour sauce mixture over vegetables; bring mixture to a boil.
- Stir beef back into vegetable mixture; cook and stir just until heated through, about 3 minutes.
Need more meal ideas for the truck? Check out more of our trucker friendly recipes.