Free Apps for Truckers
The advancement of smartphones is one of the best things that has happened to trucking! There’s now so much information at our fingertips it’s hard to imagine we did our jobs without them.
There are a lot of apps out there that can improve quality of life by keeping us better connected with our family while we’re over the road and plenty of apps that we use to get relevant information to trip plan and do our jobs.
We’ve put together a list of some must-have apps for truckers. All of them are available for Android and IOS.
Also, check out some cool apps if you take your kids on a ride along!
Weather Apps for Truckers
- Weather Network – This app features stories from the Weather Network plus has the radar map. It also will send weather alerts to your phone. Weather apps are a must for proper trip planning. It’s nice to have forecasts for upcoming days at our fingertips.
- NOAA Radar (Search for Weather Radar Live & Alerts in the app store) – The radar map and location search is a little more intuitive than others apps. It’s definitely worth a look.
Truck Parking & Truckstop Apps
- Trucker Path – This is a great app for finding truck parking. Users tell the app how much parking is available at a location, and you get fairly accurate real-time parking availability. Find truck stops, rest areas, weigh stations, Walmarts, CAT scales, and more
- Your favorite truck stops branded Apps – Apps for the national truck stop chains are useful. They generally give detailed info about each location and have special offers for in-store promos. Search the app store – “TruckSmart” for TA and Petro, “Love’s Connect” for Love’s, “AMBEST” for the AMBEST Network, “myPilot” for Pilot/Flying J, and Blue Beacon.
Maps & Navigation For Truckers
- Google Maps – Google Maps is useful with its satellite and Street views. While it’s not a trucking app it’s a good all-around map tool.
- CoPilot Truck GPS – Meant for truckers it features truck routing and offline maps.
- Waze – Not necessarily for truckers but useful for routing within cities and offers info on traffic conditions.
- KeepTrucking Electronic Logbook – If your ELD goes down, you will need to switch to a manual log book. KeepTrucking makes this easy to use temporarily without storing a physical paper log.
- Facebook Messenger – There are better messaging apps such as WhatsApp and Snap, but Facebook Messenger can help you stay in touch with friends and family with its voice and video chat feature.
- Google Duo – Probably the easiest and best free video chat platform.
- WeChat – If you’re not the Facebook or Google type, WeChat has a good voice and video features.
- FastScanner – Quickly and easily scan your documents into PDF or JPEG using your phone.