It’s finally here. Sept 29, 2020 the much-anticipated hours of service rule changes come into effect. It’s the most substantial rule change in 15 years.
The FMCSA didn’t change many rules but what they did change will add some much-needed flexibility for drivers. The changes give drivers more control and flexibility to manage rest & hours of service and flexibility to find safe haven during bad weather.
There are three changes that affect OTR drivers:
- A change to the 30 Minute break.
- A change to split your 10 hour off-duty period.
- A change to the adverse weather provision.
The focus of the regulatory change has been, according to the FMCSA throughout the process, to give truckers greater flexibility in how they manage their time spent working. The agency also said “modernizing hours of service regulations is estimated to provide nearly $274 million in annualized cost savings for the U.S. economy.”
HOS Changes Over-The-Road Drivers Should Know
- Drivers will be allowed to use their 30-minute break in an on-duty, not-driving status and requiring it within their first eight hours of drive time, rather than their first eight hours on-duty.
- Modifies the sleeper-berth exception to allow drivers to split their 10-hour off-duty period into windows of seven hours and three hours, in addition to the existing eight-hour, two-hour option. It also adds the shorter period in any split off-duty will pause the rolling on-duty clock.
- Allows drivers to extend their drive-time limit and their on-duty window by two hours if they encounter adverse weather conditions or traffic congestion.
The changes will allow drivers to have more control and make better decisions to get their required rest while maintaining the long-standing 11 hours’ drive-time and 14-hour clock.
Join Our Team
We are hiring company drivers and Owner Operators! We run great lanes and plenty of regular miles from long-term customers.
Contact John, Safety Manager/Driver Recruiter, 1-888-590-2760 EXT 309 to find out more, including details of our competitive pay and benefits package.
Drive Better, Live Better
- Must have two years OTR experience.
- Must be able to cross US border.
- 80% US miles.
- Must have a good attitude about safety and compliance.
- Contact John today 1-888-590-2760 EXT 309